Posted On: April 21, 2009 by David H. Greenberg


If you boss continually treats you differently than other employees because of your gender, you may have a suit against your employer. You are protected under Title VII and the Federal Employment and Housing Act from sex discrimination. Sex discrimination is defined as treating an employee differently from other workers because of their gender. In order for this behavior to be against the law, your employer must have discriminated against you based on the ‘terms and conditions’ of employment. The ‘terms and conditions’ of employment include things such as salary, vacation time, titles, promotions, etc.

Gender and sex discrimination can come in two forms. The clearest for of sex discrimination is ‘disparate treatment’ discrimination. This discrimination occurs when your boss clearly treats you differently because of your sex. For example, if you applied for a job and were denied a position solely because you were a female, you may have an employment law claim. The second type of discrimination is ‘disparate impact.’ This type of discrimination occurs when a company policy excludes certain types of people from a specific job or promotions. In these instances, the policies were not created specifically to cause this type of discrimination, but the discriminatory impact is an unfortunate result.

Diverse%20Business10.jpg Under the gender and sex discrimination laws, it is also illegal for your employer to discriminate by pay on the basis of gender. Men and women who perform jobs in similar conditions that require substantially equal skill, effort, and responsibility must be paid similar wages. You are also protected from being discriminated against based on sex or gender stereotypes. If you have been a victim of discrimination based on sex or gender, you may be able to bring a suit against your employer. Please contact the SF experienced and highly skilled employment lawyers at Law Offices of David H. Greenberg. You can reach us at 1-888-204-1014. Call us for a free consultation. You can also visit us at to learn more.